Body Art

No. Health Permits are non-transferable.

A valid and current registration issued by a local enforcement agency shall be valid in any other jurisdiction for no more than five consecutive days, or 15 days total, in any one calendar year.

Both the Health Permit and the Body Art Registration shall be renewed annually.

Please see our current fee schedule.

In order to obtain registration, body art practitioners must submit to the Division of Environmental Health Services (EHS) a complete application and applicable fee for body art registration, evidence of completion of OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen training (trainers must be approved by the County of San Bernardino), valid photo identification (applicant must be at least 18 years of age) for first-time registrants, and evidence of Hepatitis B requirement. The Hepatitis B requirement can be met in one of the following ways:

  • Evidence of current hepatitis B vaccination (including boosters) or
  • Comply with current Federal OSHA hepatitis B vaccination declination requirement or
  • Demonstrate hepatitis B immunity

Please see our current fee schedule.

To obtain a Body Art Health Permit, submit the following to San Bernardino County EHS:

A health permit will only be issued after a plan review and field inspections have determined the proposed body art facility and its method of operation conforms to the Safe Body Art Act. Resources on body art facility plan review requirements and IPCP guidelines can be found on our Body Art webpage.

The Division of Environmental Health Services (EHS) is the local enforcement agency for the Safe Body Art Act. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EHS at (800) 442-2283.

On October 9, 2011, Safe Body Art Act was signed into law by Governor Jerry Brown with an effective date of July 1, 2012. The Safe Body Art Act was amended October of 2013, going into effect January 1, 2014.

Body Art means body piercing, tattooing, branding, or application of permanent cosmetics.

Food Handlers and Managers

Please submit all documents to sbcfoodworker@dph.sbcounty.gov. You may also mail in your documents to our office(s) or submit them via fax.

No, the manager’s training and certification supersedes the food handlers card.

We no longer issue duplicate cards from our old database system. If you need a replacement card, you must retake the test by visiting the Food Handler Training link.

Environmental Health Services will no longer accept the old vouchers submitted through HSS and the Workforce Development Department. Both departments can obtain prepaid numbers through: www.sbcfoodworker.com. You may use these prepaid numbers to access the training, take the test and obtain your food handler card.

Yes, you can save your Food handler certificate. We recommend that you do this so you can print your Food handler certificate again if you need too. Please do not make copies of the original certificate because this may reduce the quality of the certificate.

No, you don’t. You have as many days to retake the test as you need. You have the option to retake the test immediately or at a later date.

Food safety has been an important issue in the restaurant industry for decades. Foodborne illnesses are still a major problem in the United States. The CDC estimates that each year 9.4 million Americans get sick, more than 55,900 are hospitalized, and a shocking 1,351 people die from foodborne illnesses just from known pathogens.

Although significant advancements have been made over the last 20 years to educate food service handlers about safe food handling practices, there has been no change since 1984 in the top 3 causes of foodborne illness attributed to food service handlers, those being: poor personal hygiene, improper holding temperatures, improper cooling procedures.

Since the majority of foodborne illnesses are attributed to food service handlers, and the top contributing factors are related to handlers behavior, the importance of the training food handlers receive is critical. As more people are expected to eat out more in the future, no time has ever been more important than now to have an effective food safety as a top priority. While many restaurants currently employ various efforts to ensure food safety, the fact of the matter is people are still getting sick on a daily basis and we must continue to be vigilant.

Yes, you are able to stop the training or test, save your spot and continue at a later time and restart from where you left off. If you are not able to pass with an 80% or higher on your first attempt, you are automatically issued a second test attempt. If you are unable to pass the second time, you will need to repurchase and re-watch the course.

The course is also offered in Spanish, Mandarin, Korean and Vietnamese.

Please visit www.StateFoodSafety.com/support for all technical difficulties. You have the option to email questions to support@statefoodsafety.com or complete an online webform. These options are available to the public from 6 AM – 6 PM Pacific Standard Time. You may also call the toll free customer support-line that is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week at 1-801-494-1416.

You will obtain the information at the time of taking the online course, but at a minimum the identification required is first and last name, address, date of birth, gender, and name of employer. You will also need a valid email address to take the course.

You can log on to the San Bernardino county website food handler link to reprint your food handler card using the username and password you created when you registered to take the course.

No. You must take the training and assessment through SB County’s website where a link is provided for the food handler course.

You may appeal for a refund from StateFoodSafety.com if you have not yet entered the online course or assessment. Please see below for StateFoodSafety.com refund policy:

Refund appeals are evaluated on a case-by-case basis and are issued by an accounting or client services representative. Refunds will not be issued to people who have completed their online assessment and received a certificate. Refunds will not be issued due to user error. Each customer must create their own account with a user log in and password. Refunds will not be issued via cash or check. Refunds may only be issued to the customer account used for the initial transaction.

You can take the online course as many times as necessary until you successfully pass the course. When you sign up and pay the $22 fee, you will be eligible to take the test twice. If you fail both times, you will have to pay the $22 fee again and be given 2 more opportunities to pass the course.

Yes, your employer must have a copy of your current valid Certified Food Handler card available at their food facility. The large certificate should be given to the food facility as proof of taking the training and passing the test. The smaller wallet-sized certificate can be kept in the employee’s wallet.

Yes, you can reprint your food handler card by logging in to the training course with the same username and password that you created when you registered to take the course and print your card.

There are 40 questions on the test and you may not miss more than 8 questions. You will have 2 opportunities to take the test for each $22 fee.

The cost to obtain your food handler card is $22. Only credit, debit and prepaid debit cards are accepted.

No, food handler cards from other counties, programs or companies are not accepted. Food service industry employees working in San Bernardino County are required to obtain their food handler card from San Bernardino County Environmental Health Services only.

You can take the course on any computer that has internet access. Many employers provide computers, and local libraries also have computers available. If those resources are not an option, computers are available at the following San Bernardino County Workforce Development Resource Centers:

15555 Main St. Suite #G-4
Hesperia, CA 92345

Rancho Cucamonga
9650 Ninth St.
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

San Bernardino
658 E. Brier Dr. Suite #100
San Bernardino, CA 92408

The training and test take approximately 1.5 to 2 hours to complete.

Due to the large geographical area of San Bernardino County, it may have been inconvenient for residents who needed food handler cards to travel to one of our testing facilities. In order to serve our clients more efficiently, an online training and test has now been made available. The training and test is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The online training and test will benefit San Bernardino County residents because of the cost and time that will be saved in not having to drive to a testing facility. Additionally, the training and test can be taken at your own pace and in the comfort of your home.

A DSL internet connection of 1mb or higher, or a dial-up connection of 128K or higher. Not sure where you stack up? Test your connection at http://www.speedtest.net.

StateFoodSafety.com recommends using Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer browsers. We do not recommend AOL. For the best viewing experience, make sure you are using an updated version of your preferred browser.

Medical Waste

Pharmaceutical Waste shall be discarded into an approved pharmaceutical waste container labeled with the words “incineration only” and disposed of by an approved hauler.

Pharmaceutical Waste Hauling Exemption: A pharmaceutical waste generator or parent organization that employs health care professionals who generate pharmaceutical waste is exempt from the requirements of subdivision (a) of MWMA §118000 if all of the requirements are met as described in §118032.

Home-generated sharps waste shall be transported only in a sharps container, or other containers approved by the enforcement agency, and shall only be managed at any of the following:
(1) A household hazardous waste facility
(2) A “home-generated sharps consolidation point” as defined in MWMA §117904.
(3) A medical waste generator’s facility pursuant to §118147.
(4) A facility through the use of a medical waste mail-back container approved by the United States Postal Service.

HHGS can be dropped off at several locations within San Bernardino County. A list is posted on DEHS’s website: Sharps Disposal Locations Closest to You. For proper disposal contact the County Fire Department at 1-800-OILY CAT or visit the San Bernardino County Fire Department website.

All medical waste shall be hauled by a registered hazardous waste hauler, the United States Postal Service, or by a person with an exception granted pursuant to Medical Waste Management Act (MWMA), §117946 for small quantity generators or §117976 for large quantity generators.

The exception: A medical waste generator or parent organization that employs health care professionals who generate medical waste may transport medical waste generated in limited quantities up to 35.2 pounds to the central location of accumulation, provided that all of the following are met:
(1) The principal business of the generator is not to transport or treat regulated medical waste.
(2) The generator shall adhere to the conditions and requirements set forth in the materials of trade exception, as specified in Section 173.6 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(3) A person transporting medical waste shall provide a form or log to the receiving facility, and the receiving facility shall maintain the form or log for a period of two years, containing all of the following information:
(A) The name of the person transporting the medical waste.
(B) The number of containers of medical waste transported.
(C) The date the medical waste was transported.

A LQG is a medical waste generator that produces 200 or more pounds of medical waste in any month of a 12-month period. An SQG is a medical waste generator that generates less than 200 pounds per month of medical waste.

Medical Waste Generators in San Bernardino County who produce any medical waste are required by the California Health and Safety Code, Medical Waste Management Act, §117705, §117720 and §117825 to register, and obtain a permit from the County’s enforcement agency.

Any person whose act or process produces medical waste and includes, but is not limited to, a provider of health care, as defined in subdivision (d) of Section 56.05 of the Civil Code. All of the following are examples of businesses that generate medical waste:

  • Medical and dental offices, clinics, hospitals, surgery centers, laboratories, research laboratories, chronic dialysis clinics, and education and research facilities.
  • Veterinary offices, veterinary clinics, and veterinary hospitals.
  • Pet shops.
  • Trauma scene waste management practitioners.

“Medical waste” means any biohazardous, pathology, pharmaceutical, or trace chemotherapy waste not regulated by the federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act of 1976 (Public Law 94-580), as amended; sharps and trace chemotherapy wastes generated in a health care setting in the diagnosis, treatment, immunization, or care of humans or animals; waste generated in autopsy or necropsy; waste generated during preparation of a body for final disposition such as cremation or interment; waste generated in research pertaining to the production or testing of microbiologicals; waste generated in research using human or animal pathogens; sharps and laboratory waste that poses a potential risk of infection to humans generated in the inoculation of animals in commercial farming operations; waste generated from the consolidation of home-generated sharps; and waste generated in the cleanup of trauma scenes.

Medical waste is waste which meets both of the following requirements:

1. The waste is composed of waste which is generated or produced as a result of any of the following actions:

  • Diagnosis, treatment, or immunization of human beings or animals.
  • Research pertaining to the activities specified in subparagraph A.
  • The production or testing of biologicals.
  • The accumulation of properly contained home-generated sharps waste that is brought by a patient, a member of the patient’s family, or by a person authorized by the enforcement agency, to a point of consolidation approved by the enforcement agency pursuant to Section 118147.
  • Removal of a regulated waste, as defined in Section 5193 of Title 8 of the California Code of Regulations, from a trauma scene by a trauma scene waste management practitioner.

2. The waste is any of the following:

  • Biohazardous waste
  • sharps waste

Mobile Food Facilities

Yes, at least one person in the vehicle shall have a valid Food Safety Certificate available for review in the vehicle. Only the original version will be permitted.

All employees handling food shall have their food worker certification available for review upon inspection.

The letter grade will be posted by a DEHS health inspector in a location that is clearly visible to the general public and shall remain in place until the next routine field inspection.

A Mobile Food Facility with an annual MFF health permit will be issued a letter grade at the conclusion of each of the two routine field inspections.

A Mobile Food Facility with an annual MFF health permit with the County will be inspected three times per year: one “in-office” inspection and two unannounced field inspections conducted annually.

Barbequing is permitted. However, no food preparation or assembly is allowed outside the vehicle. Contact the local jurisdiction for specific requirements.

Check with the local jurisdiction for restrictions.

All mobile food facilities must be serviced at a DEHS-approved commissary.

Temporary food operations have specific requirements that are contained in the California Retail Food Code. Temporary food facilities are restricted as to where they may operate. They must operate at a “Community Event” that is pre-approved by DEHS. The community event organizer must give approval to each vendor to operate at that event. After approval by the event organizer, each food vendor must obtain a Health Permit from DEHS at least 48 hours before the event. DEHS has developed a packet that will assist you. Specific requirements can be found in the temporary food facilities section.

Please see our current fee schedule, available on our website.

Applications Forms and Fees

Yes. All food trucks operating in San Bernardino County shall have a valid County of San Bernardino DEHS Health Permit.

If you plan to operate in unincorporated County areas you will need approval from the County Planning Department. If you plan to operate in an incorporated area, you may need a business license from the local jurisdiction. Call the appropriate city for specific requirements.

Please see our current fee schedule, available on our website.

Applications Forms and Fees

In order for the vehicle to operate in San Bernardino County, the vehicle must go through a DEHS plan review process. Contact Plan Check at 800-442-2283 for additional information.

Plan Check Program

The truck must undergo Plan Check Review and meet all DEHS Plan Check requirements. Contact Plan Check at 800-442-2283 for additional information.

Plan Check Program


Refer to the Mobile Food Facility – Build It Right or contact DEHS Plan Check at 800-442-2283.

A Mobile Food Facility can be classified as a cart or vehicle used for prepackaged potentially hazardous and non-potentially hazardous foods or vehicles where food preparation is observed.

A “Community Event” is an event of civic, political, public, or educational nature, including state and county fairs, city festivals, circuses, and other public gathering events approved by DEHS.


No, Environmental Health Services does not test or inspect for mold.

CDPH Call Center:

Allergic reactions are the most common health effects associated with mold exposure. Symptoms may include respiratory problems, nasal and sinus congestion, burning eyes, watery eyes, reddened eyes, blurry vision, coughing, nose and throat irritation, skin irritation, shortness of breath, possible fever, and central nervous system symptoms such as memory problems, mood changes, and constant headaches.

ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SERVICES DOES NOT TEST FOR MOLD.  Additional information on the symptoms of mold exposure can be obtained from the following web sites:

Yes, if the mold growth is extensive and/or can’t be controlled by using disinfectants. Exposure to high airborne mold spore levels may lead to certain health problems. Additionally, mold can cause structural damage to various components in your home.

ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SERVICES DOES NOT TEST FOR MOLD.  Additional general information on molds can be obtained from the following web sites:

Mosquito and Vector Control

Visit the USDA website Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS). (Information on this page obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). For West Nile Virus information updates call toll free: 877-WNV-BIRD (877-968-2473).

There is no reason to destroy a horse just because it has been infected with West Nile Virus. Data suggest that most horses recover from the infection. Treatment would be supportive and consistent with standard veterinary practices for animals infected with a viral agent.

We do not know if an infected horse can be infectious (i.e., cause mosquitoes feeding on it to become infected). However, previously published data suggest that the virus is detectable in the blood for only a few days.

A West Nile Virus vaccine for horses was recently approved, but its effectiveness is unknown.

No. EEE, WEE, and VEE belong to another family of viruses for which there is no cross-protection.

No. There is no documented evidence that West Nile Virus is transmitted between horses. However, horses with suspected West Nile Virus should be isolated from mosquito bites, if at all possible.

Following transmission by an infected mosquito, West Nile Virus multiplies in the horse’s blood system, crosses the blood brain barrier, and infects the brain. The virus interferes with normal central nervous system functioning and causes inflammation of the brain.

The same way humans become infected—by the bite of infectious mosquitoes. The virus is located in the mosquito’s salivary glands. When mosquitoes bite or “feed” on the horse, the virus is injected into its blood system. The virus then multiplies and may cause illness. The mosquitoes become infected when they feed on infected birds or other animals.

West Nile Virus is transmitted by infectious mosquitoes. These is no documented evidence of person-to-person or animal-to-person transmission of West Nile Virus. Normal veterinary infection control precautions should be followed when caring for a horse suspected to have this or any viral infection.

Yes, while data suggest that most horses infected with West Nile Virus recover, results of investigations indicate that West Nile Virus has caused deaths in horses in the United States.

No. There is no reason to destroy an animal just because it has been infected with West Nile Virus. Full recovery from the infection is likely. Treatment would be supportive and consistent with standard veterinary practices for animals infected with a viral agent. (Information on this page obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). For West Nile Virus information updates call toll free: 877-WNV-BIRD (877-968-2473).

The answer is not known at this time.

No. there is no documented evidence that West Nile Virus is transmitted from animal to animal.

The same way humans become infected — by the bite of infectious mosquitoes. The virus is located in the mosquito’s salivary glands. During blood feeding, the virus then multiplies and may cause illness. Mosquitoes become infected when they feed on infected birds, which may circulate the virus in their blood for a few days. It is possible that dogs and cats could become infected by eating dead infected animals such as birds, but this is unproven.

West Nile Virus is transmitted by infectious mosquitoes. There is no documented evidence of person-to-person, animal-to-animal, or animal-to-person transmission of West Nile Virus. Veterinarians should take normal infection control precautions when caring for an animal suspected to have this or any viral infection.

There is a published report of West Nile Virus isolated from a dog in southern Africa (Botswana) in 1982. West Nile Virus has been isolated from several dead cats in 1999 and 2000. A serosurvey of dogs and cats in the epidemic area showed a low infection rate.

If you find a dead bird, particularly a crow or other corvid (e.g., jay, magpie, raven, etc.), please call the number below promptly. The bird must be dead no more than 24 hours to enable testing for West Nile Virus. Do not touch the bird. Department of Health Services will record all dead bird reports and will arrange for pickup and laboratory testing for West Nile Virus when appropriate. (Information on this page obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). For West Nile Virus information updates call toll free: 877-WNV-BIRD (877-968-2473).

There is no evidence that a person can get the virus from handling live or dead infected birds. However, persons should avoid barehanded contact when handling any dead animals and use or double plastic bags to place the carcass in a garbage can.

In the 1999 New York area epidemic, there was a large die-off of American crows. West Nile Virus has been identified in more than 70 species of birds found dead in the United States. Most of these birds were identified through reporting of dead birds by the public.

It is assumed that immunity will be lifelong. However, it may wane in later years. (Information on this page obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). For West Nile Virus information updates call toll free: 877-WNV-BIRD (877-968-2473).

Centers for Disease Control information on West Nile Virus

Among those with severe illness due to West Nile Virus, case-fatality rates range from three percent to 15% and are highest among the elderly. Less than one percent of persons infected with West Nile Virus will develop severe illness.

Following transmission by an infected mosquito, West Nile Virus multiplies in the person’s blood system and crosses the blood-brain barrier to reach the brain. The virus interferes with normal central nervous system functioning and causes inflammation of brain tissue.

Although the vast majority of infections have been identified in birds, WNV has been shown to infect horses, cats, bats, chipmunks, skunks, squirrels, and domestic rabbits.

Infected mosquitoes are the primary source for West Nile Virus. Although ticks infected with West Nile Virus have been found in Asian and Africa, their role in the transmission and maintenance of the virus is uncertain. However, there is no information to suggest that ticks played any role in the cases identified in the United States.

A recent investigation has identified transplanted organs as the source of WNV infection in four recipients or organs from a single donor. How the organ donor became infected is unknown. The organ donor might have become infected from a mosquito bite or possible acquired the infection through transfusion; an investigation of the numerous transfusions received by the organ donor is ongoing. Since the report of these cases, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has been informed of other patients who developed WNV infection within several weeks of receiving blood products or organs. Investigations are ongoing to determine whether WNV was transmitted by transfusion or transplantation in any of these cases.

There is one documented case of trans-placental (mother-to-child) transmission of WNV in humans. Although the newborn in this case was infected with WNV at birth and had severe medical problems, it is unknown whether the WNV infection itself caused these problems or whether they were coincidental. More research will be needed to improve our understanding of the relationship-if any-between WNV infection and adverse birth outcomes.

Nevertheless, pregnant women should take precautions to reduce their risk for WMV and other arboviral infections by avoiding mosquitoes, using protective clothing and repellents containing DEET. When WNV transmission is occurring in an area, pregnant women who become ill should see their health care provider. Those whose illness is consistent with acute WNV infection should undergo appropriate diagnostic testing. For more details regarding the case described above, please see Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) MMWR Dec. 20, 2002.

No. West Nile Encephalitis is NOT transmitted from person-to-person. For example, you cannot get West Nile Virus from touching or kissing a person who has the disease, or from a health care worker who has treated someone with the disease.

No. Even in areas where the virus is circulating, very few mosquitoes are infected with the virus. Even if the mosquito is infected, less than one percent of people who get bitten and become infected will get severely ill. The chances you will become severely ill from any on mosquito bite are extremely small.

Mosquitoes become infected when they feed on infected birds, which may circulate the virus in their blood for a few days. Infected mosquitoes can then transmit West Nile Virus to humans and animals while biting to take blood. The virus is located in the mosquito’s salivary glands. During blood feeding, the virus may be injected into the animal or human, where it may multiply, possibly causing illness.

There is no specific therapy. In more severe cases, intensive supportive therapy is indicated, often involving hospitalization, intravenous fluids, airway management, respiratory support (ventilator), prevention of secondary infections (pneumonia, urinary tract, etc.), and good nursing care. (Information on this page obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). For West Nile Virus information updates call toll free: 877-WNV-BIRD (877-968-2473).

Your physician will first take a medical history to assess your risk for West Nile Virus. People who live in or traveled to areas where West Nile Virus activity has been identified are at risk of getting West Nile Encephalitis; persons older than 50 years of age have the highest risk of severe disease. If you are determined to be at high risk and have symptoms of West Nile Encephalitis, your provider will draw a blood sample and send it to a commercial or public health laboratory for confirmation.

Contact your health care provider if you have concerns about your health. If you or your family members develop symptoms such as high fever, confusion, muscle weakness, and severe headaches, you should see your doctor immediately.

Usually three to 15 days. (Information on this page obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). For West Nile Virus information updates call toll free: 877-WNV-BIRD (877-968-2473)

Most infections are mild, and symptoms include fever, headache, and body aches, occasionally with skin rash and swollen lymph glands. More severe infection may be marked by headache, high fever, neck stiffness, stupor, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, muscle weakness, paralysis, and, rarely, death.

All residents of areas where virus activity has been identified are at risk of getting West Nile Encephalitis; persons over 50 years of age have the highest risk of severe disease.

You can help eliminate mosquitoes by removing stagnant water from these common backyard sources:

  • Clogged rain gutters
  • Neglected or out-of-order swimming pools, hot tubs, ponds, or fountains. IMPORTANT: Adding chlorine will not prevent mosquito breeding. Pumps and filters must work properly to prevent breeding.
  • Containers such as rain barrels, can, buckets, jars, flower pots, etc.
  • Old tires
  • Anything that will hold water for more than seven days.

(Information on this page obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).
For West Nile Virus information updates call toll free: 877-WNV-BIRD (877-968-2473)

Visit the American College of Physicians website: “Mosquitoes and mosquito repellents: A clinician’s guide” (Mark S. Fradin, MD. Annals of Internal Medicine. June 1, 1998; 128:931-940). You can also find more information on insect repellents at the Environmental Protection Agency website.   Another good source of information about pesticides and repellents is the National Pesticide Information Center, which also operates a toll-free information line: 1-800-858-7378 (check their website for hours). (Information on this page obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention). For West Nile Virus information updates call toll free: 877-WNV-BIRD (877-968-2473).

Centers for Disease Control information on West Nile Virus
National Pesticide Information Center

Stay indoors at dawn, dusk, and in the early evening. Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants whenever you are outdoors. Spray clothing with repellents containing permethrin or DEET since mosquitoes may bite through thin clothing. Apply insect repellent sparingly to exposed skin. An effective repellent will contain up to 35% DEET (N, N-diethyl-meta-toluamide). DEET in high concentrations (greater than 35%) provides no additional protection. Repellents may irritate the eyes and mouth, so avoid applying repellent to the hands of children. Whenever you use an insecticide or insect repellent, be sure to read and follow the manufacturer’s DIRECTIONS FOR USE, as printed on the product. Install or repair window and door screens so that mosquitoes cannot get indoors. Note: Vitamin B and “ultrasonic” devices are NOT effective in preventing mosquito bites.

No, but several companies are working towards developing a vaccine.

Prevention and control of West Nile Virus and other arboviral diseases is most effectively accomplished through integrated vector management programs. The L.A. County West Vector Control District maintains such programs including: surveillance for West Nile Virus activity in mosquito vectors, birds, and sentinel chicken flocks; and the implementation of appropriate mosquito control measures to reduce mosquito populations.

The San Bernardino County Vector Control Program, along with the California Department of Health Services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, has developed a comprehensive monitoring and surveillance plan to detect West Nile Virus in the county and limit the residents’ risk of exposure to the infection. Vector Control Program routinely tests for West Nile Virus in sentinel chicken flocks maintained at various sites in the county and mosquito populations collected throughout the county. Sick, dying or dead birds that meet certain collection guidelines are also tested for West Nile Virus. (Information on this page obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)

For West Nile Virus information updates call toll free: 877-WNV-BIRD (877-968-273).

It is not known how long it has been in the U.S., but CDC scientists believe the virus has probably been in the eastern U.S. since the early summer of 1999, possibly longer.

West Nile Virus has been commonly found in humans and birds and other vertebrates in Africa, Eastern Europe, West Asia, and the Middle East, but until 1999 had not previously been documented in the Western Hemisphere. It is not known from where the U.S. virus originated, but it is most closely related genetically to strains found in the Middle East.

West Nile Virus is a flavivirus commonly found in Africa, West Asia, and the middle East. It is closely related to St. Louis Encephalitis virus found in the United States. The virus can infect humans, birds, mosquitoes, horses, and some other mammals.

West Nile Fever is a case of mild disease in people, characterized by flu-like symptoms. West Nile Fever typically lasts only a few days and does not appear to cause any long-term health effects.

More severe disease due to a person being infected with this virus can be West Nile Encephalitis, West Nile Meningitis, or West Nile Meningoencephalitis. Encephalitis refers to an inflammations of the brain, Meningitis is an inflammation of the membrane around the brain and the spinal cord, and Meningoencephalitis refers to inflammation of the brain and the membrane surrounding it.

The principal route of human infection with West Nile Virus is through the bite of an infected mosquito. Mosquitoes become infected when they feed on infected birds, which may circulate the virus in their blood for a few days. The virus eventually finds its way into the mosquito’s salivary glands. During subsequent blood meals, the virus may be injected into humans and animals, where it can multiply and possibly cause illness.

Additional routes of infection have become apparent during the 2002 West Nile epidemic. It is important to note that these other methods of transmission represent a very small proportion of cases. A recent investigation has confirmed WNV transmission through transplanted organs. Investigations of other patients who developed WNV infection within several weeks of receiving blood products or organs are ongoing to determine whether WNV was transmitted by transfusion or transplantation in any of these cases.

These is one reported case of trans-placental (mother-to-child) WNV transmission. although transmission of WNV and similar viruses to laboratory workers is not a new phenomenon, two recent cases of WNV infection of laboratory workers have been reported.

In San Bernardino County, the roof rat is the species which lives in our residential areas, mostly under piles of wood and debris, in garages, attics, and storage areas. Keep wood piles, lumber and household items neatly stacked at least 18 inches above the ground and away from walls and fences. Clean up and haul away junk and debris and trim trees, bushes, and vines at least four feet away from your roof. Pet food, fruit trees, open trash cans and vegetable gardens initially attract rats; then they find shelter. View What is a Vector? for more information.

There are many different types of mosquitoes in San Bernardino County and each of them needs standing water to complete its life cycle. You can protect yourself from mosquito bites and the diseases these insects carry (encephalitis and malaria) by eliminating water sources on your property. Keep roof gutters and drainage ditches clean, change bird baths and animal troughs every week, store boats upside down or cover them tightly, and store tires in a covered area. Also, if you have ornamental ponds and decorative pools, contact our office to find out where mosquito fish can be purchased in San Bernardino County. Call (909) 388-4600 for more information. View

In the event that San Bernardino County or the California Department of Health Services declares emergency conditions, SBCVCP will take emergency control measures to prevent the spread of West Nile Virus (WNV) and other mosquito-borne diseases.

The most effective repellents use DEET. Products containing DEET are safe when used according to label directions. These products have been approved by the federal Environmental Protection Agency after undergoing rigorous testing.

Avoid activity outside when mosquitoes are most active, especially at dawn and dusk. When outdoors, wear long pants, long sleeve shirts and other protective clothing. Apply insect repellent according to label instructions. Make sure that doors and windows have tight fitting screens. Repair or replace screens that have tears or holes. Eliminate all sources of standing water that can support mosquito breeding.

Most people who are bitten by a mosquito with West Nile virus will not get sick. Some individuals will experience headache, high fever and neck stiffness. In less than 1 percent of individuals, symptoms can be more severe, including coma, tremors, convulsions, muscle weakness and paralysis.

West Nile virus is typically spread to humans by the bite of an infected mosquito. View California Surveillance and Facts About West Nile Virus.

West Nile virus is a virus commonly found in Africa, West Asia and the Middle East. It is closely related to the virus that causes St. Louis encephalitis. West Nile virus can infect humans, birds, mosquitoes, horses and some other mammals.

The annual assessment pays for vector control services provided in your community. These services include surveillance for diseases and control of insects and animals that can cause human illness.

San Bernardino County Code states that “‘Vector’ means any animal capable of transmitting the causative agent of human disease or capable of producing human discomfort or injury, including, but not limited to, mosquitoes, flies, fleas, ticks, mites, and rats, but not including any domesticated animal.”

Organized Camps

Volunteers and/or staff that handle food and/or food contact surfaces at organized camps for 2 weeks or less are encouraged to take the “Organized Camp Food Safety Training” course. This course is intended to train the public on how to keep food safe and prevent the spread of foodborne illness while using our Organized Campgrounds.

Organizations that operate at camps longer than 2 weeks must have their food handler staff obtain the San Bernardino County Certified Food Handler card.

Plan Check

EHS requires inspection:

  • Pregunite
  • Pre-plaster
  • Final inspection

To schedule construction inspections, contact Plan Check at (800) 442-2283 at least five (5) working days in advance to schedule inspection.

EHS requires inspection:

  • After interior finishes have been completed and prior to equipment placement.
  • After equipment has been installed.
  • Final inspection is required prior to opening for business. At time of final, hot water must be provided at a minimum of 120°F to the facility. Refrigeration must be operational at 41°F or below.

To schedule construction inspections, contact Plan Check at (800) 442-2283 at least five (5) working days in advance to schedule inspection.

Requirements vary based on the type of food facility or pool. If you have an existing facility it is recommended that you speak to an Environmental Health Plan Check Specialist. The specialist can assist you with the requirements. Contact the Environmental Health specialist assigned to you. See the Retail Food Construction Guide for more information.

Contact Plan Check to get current information at (800) 442-2283. You will receive a call from our office when plans are ready to be picked up.

The plan check fee pays for the plan review and up to three (3) construction inspections.

The fee varies with the type of facility and extent of work. Please see our current Environmental Health fee schedule.

Plans shall be approved or rejected within (20) twenty working days of receipt. The projected plan check turnaround time is (10) ten working days.

Refer to the Retail Food Construction Guide for specific information.

Complete the Application for Food Facility or Pool and/or Spa Plan Review. Submit the completed application and applicable fee(s) along with a digital copy or (3) three sets of paper plans if the project is located within city limits or (5) sets of paper plans if the project is located in the unincorporated County area. The plans along with the completed application and fee can be submitted in person or through mail to one of the three regional offices.

Digital copies can be emailed to EHS.CustomerService@dph.sbcounty.gov. Plans must be attached to the email in pdf format or accessible for download via link to a file-sharing service (e.g. Dropbox, etc.). Digital submittals are eligible for a 5% discount.

Plans are required for new and remodeled food facilities, non-prepackaged food carts and pool construction or if there are changes in the type of operation or menu. Plans must be submitted and approved before any construction or remodeling begins. Please contact Plan Check directly for more information.

Public Swimming Pools

Yes – there are several companies that offer a class and exam to become a Certified Pool Operator (CPO). Find a class near you.

The pool/spa should be closed anytime an immediate and imminent health risk exists. These could include the following: excessive water cloudiness (the main drain is not visible); no free residual level of disinfectant/sanitizer (e.g., chlorine); the filtration and/or automatic disinfection system is not operable; the covers over the main drain or the equalizer lines are broken or missing or there is a suction hazard; the underwater light fixture has water in it; chemicals are added to the water and sufficient time has not elapsed for proper mixing; or any time you feel there is a health risk to patrons.

YES! The law requires all public pools and spas to have an on-site operable test kit, and a daily log of chlorine, pH levels, and other maintenance actions. You should have basic knowledge of pool maintenance and water chemistry balance. If the pool chemistry is not correct on any given day, adjustment must be made as soon as possible to keep the water safe for patrons.

Chlorine (or other approved disinfectant) and pH levels should be checked and recorded on a maintenance log at least once per day. Cyanuric acid levels should be checked and recorded at least once per month. Other chemical tests (such as alkalinity, calcium hardness, and total dissolved solids) should be checked regularly to maintain proper water balance.

Chemical Requirements

When to Check
and Record
Free chlorine without
1.0 ppm 1.5 ppm 10 ppm Daily
Free chlorine with
1.5 ppm 1.5 – 3.0 ppm 10 ppm Daily
“Stabilizer” (i.e.,
Cyanuric Acid)
0 ppm Up to 50 ppm 100 ppm Monthly
pH 7.2 7.4 – 7.6 8.0 Daily

Cyanuric acid is an acid that is marketed as a chlorine “stabilizer” for swimming pools. It is also referred to as a “conditioner.” When exposed to the ultraviolet rays of the sun, the free chlorine in the pool water will break down and escape. Cyanuric acid is intended to reduce this loss of chlorine. Cyanuric acid is often a component of chlorine tablets used in automatic chlorinators. It is also available in powder form. Cyanuric acid residual remains in the water and will increase in concentration as additional amounts of cyanuric acid are added to the water. At high concentrations (>50 ppm), cyanuric acid can substantially decrease the effectiveness of chlorine.

It is likely that the chlorine has combined with organic matter in the pool and has formed chloramines. Chloramines have a chlorine-like smell and can cause eye and skin irritation. Use a test kit to determine the amount of combined chlorine. The combined chlorine level should not exceed 0.4 ppm. Adding the appropriate amount of addition free available chlorine will help to eliminate chloramines.

It is important to have the correct concentration of free available chlorine in the water at all times when the pool or spa is available for use. Unlike combined chlorine, free available chlorine is efficient at destroying the majority of harmful microorganisms. A minimum of 1.0 ppm free available chlorine is required if cyanuric acid is not used as a conditioner. Otherwise, a minimum free chlorine residual of 1.5 ppm is required. The maximum concentration of free available chlorine must not exceed 10 ppm while the pool is available for use. Chlorine must be dispensed through a properly-sized automatic chlorinator to ensure consistent levels of chlorine.

Pools should be disinfected continuously by a chemical which imparts a residual effect. Chlorine is a type of “disinfectant”, also called a “sanitizer”. Disinfectants or sanitizers destroy living microorganisms and bacteria, preventing the transmission of disease. There are several types of disinfectants, such as chlorine, bromine, ozone and UV light. Public pools need a disinfectant with a measurable residual.

When a fecal, vomit, blood contamination, near drowning, or drowning incident occurs, the pool operator shall immediately close the affected pool to users. The pool operator shall complete the disinfection procedure stated in the Recommended Response for Fecal, Vomit, Blood Contamination, Near-Drowning, or Drowning Incidents flyer. The pool operator shall also document each fecal, vomit, blood contamination, drowning, or near drowning incident. Please see our Incident Report for Fecal, Vomit, Blood Contamination, Near-Drowning, or Drowning form.

Not at this time, but it is highly recommended. Properly maintaining a public pool requires proper training. Basic pool training is best acquired in a Certified Pool Operator class.

Generally speaking, if pool equipment is replaced with the same make and model number (like for like), there is no need to notify the Health Department. Otherwise, contact the health department, plan check section, for approval prior to any equipment installation/replacement. New pumps must be able to maintain the same turnover rate. Filters must be properly sized for the system. Chlorinators must be sized properly to ensure adequate disinfection.

You must maintain daily test records for pH and free chlorine. In addition you need to include in your records any maintenance performed and monthly cyanuric acid checks (if pool stabilizer is used).

At the minimum, you need a test kit that can accurately check pH and “free chlorine” in the pool water. To accurately check “free chlorine”, the test kit should use DPD tablets or liquid. “OTO” (yellow liquid) type chlorine test kits are difficult to use to accurately determine free chlorine. The test kit must be able to test for free chlorine from 0.5 to 3 ppm (parts per million). However, it is suggested that test kits with a higher free chlorine range (to 5 or 10 ppm) be used. If pool stabilizer is used, cyanuric acid must also be checked, at least once per month. Cyanuric acid test kits are available but you can also take a water sample into some pool supply companies once per month. Most test kits will also check for combined chlorine, total alkalinity, and calcium hardness, which are useful for properly maintaining a pool.

Public pools are posted closed by Environmental Health as a preventative measure when significant health or safety violations are observed during an inspection. Most closures are because of very low or very high chlorine levels, very cloudy water, or safety items like missing main drain covers. Actual bacterial samples of the pool water are rarely taken.

Solid Waste

If you need to obtain a solid waste facility permit, you should contact our office. There are several types of solid waste permits and the level of detail required varies for each type of permit. Some solid waste facilities will need to obtain permits from other regulating agencies. Please check with us first. Call 909-387-4655.

To answer this question, we must first ask: Will my operation be handling solid waste?

Solid waste is defined as “all garbage, trash, refuse, paper, rubbish, ashes, industrial wastes, demolition and construction wastes, abandoned vehicles and parts thereof, discarded home and industrial appliances, sewage sludge which is not a hazardous waste, manure, vegetable or animal solid and semi solid wastes, and other discarded solid and semisolid wastes.”

Solid waste does not include hazardous wastes or untreated medical wastes.

If you are handling solid wastes, determine if your site is a solid waste facility:

  • A solid waste facility includes a solid waste transfer or processing station, a composting facility, a transformation facility, and a disposal facility. The following definitions have been abbreviated, so please contact us if you are interested in getting more detailed information.
  • A transfer or processing station is any facility that receives solid wastes, temporarily stores, separates, converts or otherwise processes solid waste materials. A transfer or processing station does not include any of the following: a facility that receives, stores, separates, converts, or processes manure; or a facility that receives, stores, separates, converts, or otherwise processes wastes that have already been separated for reuse and are not intended for disposal.
  • A compost facility uses biological decomposition to convert organic wastes to a beneficial product.
  • A transformation facility uses incineration, pyrolysis, distillation, or gasification in the process of converting wastes to energy.
  • A solid waste disposal facility or landfill is the final deposition of solid waste to land.

The Public Resources Code requires any person or company, who plans to operate a Solid Waste Facility to submit a permit application to Environmental Health Services which is the designated Local Enforcement Agency. This application must be submitted at least 150 days prior to beginning operations.


The biennial survey inspections that are conducted involve a visual inspection of the property to look for obvious signs of system failure, such as standing or surfacing septage, exposed tank or leach lines, disconnected drain lines running off property, etc. Contact will be made with owners of properties which exhibit signs of a failing septic system.

The DMA ordinance requires a biennial survey inspection of each septic system for identification of failure.  Environmental Health Services (EHS) is a fee-for-service division. Permit fees are assessed by the amount of time required to perform the service. DMA permits are billed every other year and coincide with a 2 year inspection cycle.

The following areas are DMAs as defined by maps on file with the Clerk of the Board:

(a) U.S. Forest Service Polique Canyon Tract

(b) U.S. Forest Service Lakeview Tract

(c) Mill Creek Basin above 2,600 feet, including but not limited to the communities of Forest Falls, Angeles Oaks, and Mountain Home Village

(d) U.S. Forest Service Pine Knot Tract

(e) U.S. Forest Service Metcalf Creek Tract

(f) U.S. Forest Service Big Bear Tract

(g) U.S. Forest Service Willow Glen Tract

Residents living in DMA areas were required to have a permit and inspections. Initially each septic system was reviewed, substandard systems upgraded, and demonstrated compliance with the minimum criteria specified in the ordinance.

In 1973, the California Regional Water Quality Control Board (RWQCB) prohibited the use of septic systems within several areas based on significant concerns that improperly operating septic systems threatened the quality of the ground water. Sewering of these areas was thought to be the best solution; however, feasibility studies found that this was not cost effective. As an alternative, in 1982, the County adopted an ordinance establishing DMAs. With the creation of the ordinance, septic systems were again allowed under enhanced County control.

DMAs are unsewered areas of the county which have been determined to have unique topographical and hydrogeologic conditions in which the use of on-site septic systems or, more specifically, the improper operation of these systems could threaten the quality of local ground and/or surface water. The designation of these maintenance areas resulted in enhanced county control and monitoring of septic systems in these areas.

Impaired Water Bodies are surface water bodies or segments thereof that are identified on a list approved first by the State Water Board and then approved by US EPA pursuant to Section 303(d) of the federal Clean Water Act.

More than 95% of current OWTS owners that are covered by the policy are expected to experience little or no change on the manner in which their systems are regulated. If an individual OWTS is currently in good operating condition, and is not near an Impaired Water Body that the state has identified as polluted with bacteria and/or nitrogen related compounds, then this proposed policy will have little to no effect on the property owner.

Owners of OWTS shall maintain their OWTS in good working condition including inspections and pumping of solids as necessary, to maintain proper function and ensure adequate treatment.

LAMP is a management program where local agencies establish minimum standards that are different from those specified in AB 885 OWTS Policy, including the areas that cannot meet those minimum standards, but that still achieve the policy’s purpose of protecting water quality and public health. These standards may authorize different soil characteristics, usage of seepage pits, and different densities for new development. The Division of Environmental Health Services has developed a LAMP for review and approval by the County Board of Supervisor that addresses local conditions while still protecting water quality and public health. The LAMP shall then be submitted to the RWQCB for review and approval.

The Division of Environmental Health Services is working with other county agencies to develop and submit a Local Agency Management Program (LAMP) for approval to the governing Regional Water Quality Control Boards (RWQCB), Santa Ana RWQCB, Lahontan RWQCB, and Colorado River RWQCB.

The AB 885 policy establishes a statewide, risk-based, tiered approach for the regulation and management of OWTS installations and replacements, and sets the level of performance and protection expected from OWTS. In particular, AB 885 requires actions for the identified areas where OWTS contribute to water quality degradation that adversely affect beneficial uses. AB 885 establishes minimum requirements for permitting, monitoring, and operation of OWTS.

The purpose of the AB 885 policy is to allow the continued use of on-site wastewater treatment systems (OWTS), while protecting water quality and public health.

Sewage that surfaces on the ground or is backing up into your home is a health hazard, and must be eliminated as quickly as possible. This could be caused by a number of factors. Look at the simplest fixes first, such as a clogged drain line before or after the septic tank, or failed electrical to a sewage pump. Pumping the septic tank to stop the surface discharge of sewage is necessary if the leach field is failing. In this situation, the household should go on a water conservation program to reduce water usage to extend the time period before the tank will need to be pumped again. The spill area should be sanitized with a mixture of household bleach and water to destroy any bacteria and viruses. You can contact our office at 1-800-442-2283 for additional information. Note that most physical repairs to the septic system require a permit.

You can report this to Code Enforcement at 909-884-4056 for investigation. If a health hazard is verified, the owner will be given a notice to correct the problem. This will be followed up to be sure the corrections are made. Complainant names are confidential and will not be released to the public without a court order.

At this time, Environmental Health Services does not respond to this type of complaint, because no surfacing sewage has been alleged or observed by the complainant. This type of complaint is currently being reviewed by a Board of Supervisors ad hoc committee for further determination. However, if sewage is being discharged onto the ground or into a stream, we will immediately investigate. Building without water or a septic system should be reported to local code enforcement unless permitted by EHS.

No, odors may originate miles away and may not be from surfacing sewage. They often come from roof vents or other similar sources. This can sometimes be corrected by raising the roof vent pipe several feet. Also, deodorizers can be purchased that fit over the roof vent to eliminate the odor.

The Uniform Plumbing Code sets the sizes of septic tanks based on the number of bedrooms in a residence. The plumbing code also gives the administrative authority leeway to require higher requirements when the requirements are essential to maintain a safe and sanitary condition. An example is a 3,000 square foot house that has nine rooms (excluding bathrooms) and the builder states it’s only a two-bedroom residence with four bathrooms. A 750-gallon tank is not appropriate for this residence. The County would require a minimum 1200-gallon tank.

A properly installed septic system should function for 20 to 30 years. The septic system does require care and maintenance.

Taking Care of Your Septic System.

After Environmental Health Services reviews and approves the proposed septic system, the customer must always obtain a construction permit from Building and Safety. In certain situations, the customer will also have to obtain approval to install the system from the local Regional Water Quality Control Board. Environmental Health Services or Building and Safety shall advise the customer to obtain water board approval when necessary.

Due to the potential adverse impacts to public health and the environment from improperly designed or constructed sewage disposal systems, ISDS must be designed by a registered civil engineer, registered geologist, or a registered environmental health specialist. When proposing a repair to an existing ISDS a design by a registered professional may not be required.

An Individual Sewage Disposal System (ISDS) is a privately owned and maintained sewage disposal system. They are commonly referred to as septic systems or on-site wastewater systems. All ISDS have two basic components, a two-compartment septic tank and disposal field. The septic tank serves to separate and store solid material and the disposal field allows wastewater to percolate into the ground.

Water Wells

The UC Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources is working to help farmers cope with the unwelcome outcome of historically low rainfall this season and the last three years. The UC Drought Resource website has a number of links including a calendar of drought events, agricultural and natural resource experts, and information and resources for agriculture, rangeland, and urban landscapes. A recent addition includes recorded video presentations on high-priority drought topics. These are available for viewing on the UC California Institute of Water Resources page.

Depth to groundwater for monitoring wells in your area can be viewed at the Water Data Library. Use the map to find a monitoring well near you. If you know the total depth of your well, where it is screened, and how deep your pump sits in the borehole then you can compare that information to local groundwater conditions to gauge your risk for running into well troubles.

Knowing the total depth and general construction of your well can help you anticipate how your well may respond in drought conditions. This information can be found on a ‘Well Log’ that was filled out at the time your well was drilled. Having your well log on hand is a must, especially during dry times.

Copies of Well Logs, also known as Well Completion Reports or Well Driller Reports, are available from the San Bernardino County Department of Environmental Health. Fill out and return the Records Request Form to the Environmental Health Division. Call or text 800-442-2283 with any questions.

Alternatively, you can request your well depth information and well log by contacting the Department of Water Resources using the Well Log Request Form or by calling 818-549-2307. Annual well maintenance is also recommended. Have your well serviced to check pump performance, depth to water, and the depth of your pump. Information regarding the depth of the pump in your well may be recorded on installation receipts, or may be available from the pump company which performed the installation.

Problems could include the well no longer producing water, producing water sporadically, increased sand or sediment, or decreased pressure. Help us document these impacts of the drought. Although we cannot solve individual well problems, information we gather will assist in our drought assessment efforts and understanding groundwater basin conditions. Information on well problems can be reported by calling Environmental Health Services at 800-442-2283.

This occurs when the groundwater level falls below the depth of the pump or the bottom of the well. You will need to contact a licensed contractor who can assess your situation and give you options. Wellowner.org has a Contractor Lookup tool. You will need to ensure the contractor is licensed with San Bernardino County.

Hauled water is not allowed for new construction. The potable water source for the property must be from an approved water purveyor or well.

The DGMO is County Ordinance 33.06551 et. al. that aims to protect the groundwater resources within the unincorporated and unadjudicated desert region of San Bernardino County. Well proposals which are located outside of the jurisdictional boundaries of the Mojave Water Agency and Public Water Districts within the Morongo Basin and which are situated in the unincorporated desert region of the County, generally described as that area of the County lying west of the Colorado River and the California-Nevada State line, north of the San Bernardino-Riverside County line, south of the San Bernardino-Inyo County line and east of Fort Irwin Military Reservation, the Mojave Water Agency, the Marine Air Ground Task Force Command Center, Twentynine Palms Water District and the City of Twentynine Palms are subject to the ordinance and must either adopt a groundwater management plan or fall under one of the exclusions. For more information contact EHS at 800-442-2283.

The well permit application is available or call 1-800-442-2283, Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM to request a paper copy. Application may be submitted electronically, by mail, or submitted at any one of our offices.

A well permit is required for the construction, destruction, or rehabilitation of any well in San Bernardino County. The well permit must be signed by the property owner and a C-57 well driller that is registered with this County. A list of registered well drillers is available or contact our office at 1-800-442-2283 for more information.

California Water Well Standards must be met for the construction of wells in San Bernardino County.

A totalizer flowmeter can be placed on the discharge line from the well to measure gallons per minute (gpm). Typical homes only need a well that pumps 1-3 gpm. EHS recommends the homeowner has a pump test conducted on the well every year to determine its pumping capacity, motor efficiency, and static water level (from Southern California Edison or a private company).

Private wells may be tested by the homeowner at their own expense. EHS recommends testing annually for bacteria, nitrates and any other contaminants of concern, i.e., arsenic, fluoride, iron, manganese and sulfur. A list of State certified labs in San Bernardino County is available. View the State approved lab list or contact our office at 1-800-442-2283 for more information.

If the parcel is not within the service area of a water purveyor, well water may be allowed if all setbacks are met and the well permit application is approved. See question 6 for more information on obtaining a well permit.

Wholesale Foods

The sharing of food facilities, equipment, and/or utensils must be approved by this agency; with responsibilities between the facilities being well-defined. A charged field consultation will be performed for this purpose. If during the field consultation it is determined that the shared facility can handle the new host facility, a Health Permit will be issued. For more information please contact EHS.

As an alternative to building their own facilities, some new food facility operators have chosen to rent production space/time within an existing commercial kitchen. The Division of Environmental Health Services reviews the plans for, issues permits to, and inspects all retail food facilities regulated under the California Retail Food Code (CRFC), and all wholesale food facilities under the Food Sanitation Act (FSA).

No. A food handling card is not required for wholesale food processing facilities. However, it is recommended that all food handling employees are trained on Current Good Manufacturing Practices on a regular basis.

Yes, all wholesale food facilities must register with the State of California. Processors of general food commodities (e.g. baked goods, noodles, processed fresh vegetables, seafood, snack foods, dietary supplements, etc.) must obtain a Processed Food Registration (PFR) from the Food and Drug Branch (FDB) of the California Department of Public Health. A PFR certificate is a firm’s basic health permit. The PFR allows firms to manufacture products not specifically covered by another FDB license. Please visit the California Department of Public Health website for more information (e.g. juice processors, low acid food packed in hermetically sealed containers, HACCP plan requirements, labeling requirements).

Yes, a Health Permit is still required. The County of San Bernardino has authority to enter and inspect any place, building, structure, room, or portion thereof, maintained, used or operated for the purpose of commercially packing, making, manufacturing, cooking, baking, mixing, processing, bottling(other than water), canning, packing, portioning, assembling, salvaging, re-conditioning or otherwise preparing or processing food, or beer, wine, or alcoholic beverages, including ice for human consumption.

Depending on the scope of company’s operations the food industry is subject to the regulations of numerous federal, state and local agencies:

Please refer to the document Build it Right — Guidelines for Food Wholesale Facilities for specific information. For more information about plan review, please refer to our Plan Check Program page.

Complete the Application for Food Facility Plan Review. Submit the completed application along with three (3) sets of plans if the project is located within city limits and five (5) sets of plans if the project is located in an unincorporated County area. The plans along with the completed application and fee can be submitted in person or through mail, to one of the three regional offices. The plans and completed application can also be submitted digitally through email at EHS.CustomerService@dph.sbcounty.gov.

In order to start a wholesale business, plans shall be submitted to our Plan Check Program prior to any construction, remodel, and transfer of ownership along with the plan review fees. Once plans are approved, an annual health permit will be issued by this agency.