Solid Waste

If you need to obtain a solid waste facility permit, you should contact our office. There are several types of solid waste permits and the level of detail required varies for each type of permit. Some solid waste facilities will need to obtain permits from other regulating agencies. Please check with us first. Call 909-387-4655.

To answer this question, we must first ask: Will my operation be handling solid waste?

Solid waste is defined as “all garbage, trash, refuse, paper, rubbish, ashes, industrial wastes, demolition and construction wastes, abandoned vehicles and parts thereof, discarded home and industrial appliances, sewage sludge which is not a hazardous waste, manure, vegetable or animal solid and semi solid wastes, and other discarded solid and semisolid wastes.”

Solid waste does not include hazardous wastes or untreated medical wastes.

If you are handling solid wastes, determine if your site is a solid waste facility:

  • A solid waste facility includes a solid waste transfer or processing station, a composting facility, a transformation facility, and a disposal facility. The following definitions have been abbreviated, so please contact us if you are interested in getting more detailed information.
  • A transfer or processing station is any facility that receives solid wastes, temporarily stores, separates, converts or otherwise processes solid waste materials. A transfer or processing station does not include any of the following: a facility that receives, stores, separates, converts, or processes manure; or a facility that receives, stores, separates, converts, or otherwise processes wastes that have already been separated for reuse and are not intended for disposal.
  • A compost facility uses biological decomposition to convert organic wastes to a beneficial product.
  • A transformation facility uses incineration, pyrolysis, distillation, or gasification in the process of converting wastes to energy.
  • A solid waste disposal facility or landfill is the final deposition of solid waste to land.

The Public Resources Code requires any person or company, who plans to operate a Solid Waste Facility to submit a permit application to Environmental Health Services which is the designated Local Enforcement Agency. This application must be submitted at least 150 days prior to beginning operations.